Benefits of the toll road
You can expect to save around nine minutes by taking the Northern Gateway Toll Road at non-peak times.
The 7.5km toll road offers motorists a safer alternative to the State Highway 17 coastal route.
Updated: 12/11/2009 10:00 a.m.
Driving benefits include:
- four lanes, two in each direction
- more consistent travel times
- clearer sight lines and smoother turns
- safer passing
- less congestion and emissions
- reduced gradients.
The toll road offers a range of benefits for the wider region, including:
- a safer, more direct route between Auckland and Northland
- improved access to Northland and Rodney making these areas more attractive investment options for future growth
- better access for freight carriers, tourists, students and commuters
- improved safety of the wider road network through reduced traffic volumes.
What to do next